These pork lettuce tacos pack a punch of flavor without any of the guilt. Topped with a roasted pineapple salsa, they're perfect for your next taco night!
I love tacos. They're like the perfect handheld food.
Back when I started eating paleo, a lot of the gluten free and grain free store bought options for tacos and wraps didn't exist, so it was up to us to come up with our own vehicles for food.
If you're going to make lettuce tacos, you need a lettuce that can withstand the taco filling ingredients. Hearts of romaine to have a firm enough base for the taco itself. It will still be a messy eat, but it will hold up for you!
I started out with these pickled red onions (which have been somewhat popular on Pinterest - who knew?) and then those evolved into the pineapple salsa recipe, which is delicious in and of itself.
Pork and pineapple is one of my favorite combinations (if you haven't tried these pork & pineapple skewers, you should!), so I decided to make some pork lettuce tacos to compliment the pineapple salsa.
I normally detest recipes that make you make other recipes, but in this case, they're all pretty simple. The onions are hands off, the salsa takes 5 minutes, and lettuce tacos - well, you just...fold the lettuce.
Hope you enjoy them as much as my main man here did!
Pork Lettuce Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
These pork lettuce tacos pack a punch of flavor without any of the guilt. Topped with a grilled pineapple salsa, they're perfect for your next taco night!
For the taco meat:
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon water
For the tacos:
- taco meat
- romaine lettuce hearts
- grilled pineapple salsa
- fresh avocado
- fresh limes
- Combine all the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat a large skillet over medium- high heat, then add the pork and cook 5-7 minutes, or until done.
- Drain the pork in a colander, then return the pork to the skillet, reducing the heat to medium-low.
- Add the seasoning mixture and the water to the pan, then mix into the pork. Stir for 1-2 mins until meat is thoroughly coated in seasoning and water has evaporated.
- Remove a few large leaves off the romaine hearts and place on plates.
- Fill each with a spoonful of the taco meat, then top it with the pineapple salsa and diced avocado.
- Serve immediately, with napkins! 🙂
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 354mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 20g
This site contains affiliate links through the Amazon Affiliate program and others, which allow me to earn a small commission when you purchase through them, at no cost to you. Thanks for your support!
Leave a Reply