These chili + cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes pack a punch of flavor. Unique enough for the holiday table, easy enough for everyday meals!
I love sweet potatoes. They are one of the most versatile foods, a great source of healthy, high density carbs for workouts, and so easy to make and keep on hand. I cook a batch in my Instant Pot weekly.
I probably have more recipes with sweet potato on my site than any other ingredient, to be honest.
These chili cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes were one of my very first sweet potato recipe experiments. Often times when you find a cinnamon roasted sweet potato recipe, they're often more sweet than savory.
Cinnamon pairs well with sugar or brown sugar, and this seems to be the go-to when it comes to roasting sweet potatoes. (If you're looking for a recipe on the sweeter side, check out these Cinnamon Sugar Sweet Potatoes from PaleOMG!)
For me, sweet potatoes are sweet enough on their own. Their sugars caramelize a bit when roasted and they are tender and sweet on their own.
I prefer to counter their sweetness with a bit of savory, which is where our chili seasoning comes in! The combination of chili and cinnamon gives a savory, flavorful addition to the existing sweetness of the potatoes.
This recipe is easy enough to make for a quick weeknight meal side dish, and unique enough to bring to the Thanksgiving table.
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes, diced
- ½ 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Toss the diced sweet potatoes and onions with the melted coconut oil.
- Sprinkle with the spice mixture, tossing to combine and making sure everything is well coated.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, until onions are tender and potatoes are cooked through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Saturated Fat: 3gSodium: 257mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
I may earn a small commission off purchases made through affiliate links in this post from Amazon and other sellers. This helps me continue to run the blog and keep providing you fresh content. Thank you for your support!