Steamed sweet potatoes topped with a (paleo & Whole30!) creamy, tangy tahini spread. A squeeze of lime and sprinkle of sesame seeds brings perfection. The best Whole30 sweet potatoes there ever were.
These sweet potatoes with tahini butter are melt in your mouth delicious. The starchy sweetness of the potato is countered by the tangy tahini "butter" for the perfect pairing.
Confession 1: Once I made these, I couldn't stop eating them.
Confession 2: I ended up putting the tahini butter on any vegetable I could find.
What goes in tahini butter
You probably think, tahini + butter. And you'd be right, sort of! I've replaced the butter with ghee and used paleo and Whole30 compliant ingredients like coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
Add to that some rice vinegar, tangy lime juice, and garlic, and you've got yourself a show-stealer.
How to make tahini butter
Well, you guys know how I do. I do easy. I do quick. And I do recipes you can make while chasing a toddler around the house.
So, to make tahini butter, you dump all of your ingredients into a food processor and blend until they're combined.
That's it. No cooking, no stirring, no whisking, no adding ingredients one at a time. Just dump 'em all in and go.
The best way to cook the sweet potatoes
If you don't have an IP, that's ok! Preheat your oven to 400°. Poke each potato a few times around, then wrap tightly in foil. Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour.
Check for doneness by seeing if a knife slides through the center easily. If it gets stuck or hard to push through, cook them longer!
How long will the tahini butter keep
Any sauce, butter, or combination of ingredients only keeps as long as the things that are in it.
However, lime juice and vinegar both act as acidic preservatives, so this one may stick around a bit longer.
I store mine in the fridge, and no batch we've made has lasted a full week. If you can keep yours in the house longer than that, let me know!
What you can serve with these sweet potatoes with tahini butter
Honestly, they're pretty dang delicious on their own. Sprinkle them with a heavy hand of sesame seeds and chow down.
If you want to add some protein, I like to add some shredded chicken and a little extra tahini butter for a perfectly balanced meal!
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- 6 tablespoon ghee
- Bake or steam sweet potatoes however you choose. (If you have an Instant Pot, refer to my post on how to cook sweet potatoes in the IP!)
- While potatoes are baking/steaming, combine all ingredients for tahini butter into a food processor. Pulse a few times, then run until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Place tahini butter into the fridge to firm up a bit while the potatoes continue to cook.
- Once potatoes are done, allow to cool slightly.
- Slice potatoes in half lengthwise, then slather with tahini butter. The more the better, I say.
- Sprinkle with a good coating of sesame seeds. Add a squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkle of flaky salt to take it to perfection.
If you want to make this a complete meal, add some protein! I love cutting the potato open, adding some shredded chicken, then topping the whole thing with the tahini butter. Yum.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 400Saturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 242mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 7gSugar: 10gProtein: 5g