This Whole30 taco meat uses just a few seasonings and can be put together in less than 10 minutes. Sugar free, chemical and preservative free! Meet taco night’s new star of the show.
I’ll confess, I’m pretty jazzed about this Whole30 taco meat recipe.
Not quite as jazzed as I might be for the Southwestern Paleo Taco Salad I love putting it in, but still pretty jazzed. How many times do you think I can say jazzed in the first paragraph?
I’m not holding back. I mean, who doesn’t want to eat jazzy taco meat?
I have a taco meat recipe that I love out of Well Fed 2 – it’s the meat that goes on top of the plantachos, which might be one of my favorite foods.
But like any of the Well Fed recipes, it takes quite a bit of time and patience to get that recipe made.
If you know me, you know I’m Lazy with a capital L in the kitchen, and I’m always looking for a shortcut to delicious town.
What goes in homemade taco meat
Most prepped meat or seasoning packs you buy are either full of a.) chemicals or b.) sugar. This is why I’m forced to make my own meat seasonings (see breakfast sausage, chorizo) , then share them with you, so you can enjoy the deliciousness without the chemicals too. You’re welcome.
This taco meat recipe is super simple.
You’re going to mix your dry spices first (chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, salt, and some cayenne), and then add a couple of ingredients (tomato paste, ACV) to make a paste.
How to make homemade taco meat
You’ll gently work the paste into the meat before cooking. If it’s not all incorporated to every inch of the meat, it’s ok.
I recommend using a ground round for this Whole30 taco meat recipe if you can, for the right amount of flavor and fat content. You can read more about the types of ground beef and when to use what here.
You’ll continue to break up the meat as it cooks, and the spices will get mixed into all the meat.
PS – I use these gloves when mixing up raw meat or dealing with raw chicken, so I don’t have to wash my hands 20 times!
Once you’ve worked the paste into the meat, go ahead and cook it! When it’s browned and there’s no pink left, it’s done.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- In a small bowl, combine all dry spices (chili powder through cayenne pepper) and mix well.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and the tomato paste, and stir until a thick paste forms.
- Place the ground beef in a large mixing bowl, then add the seasoning mixture.
- Using your hands, gently work the seasoning mixture into the ground beef until all of the meat is seasoned. Be careful not to overwork the meat!
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat, then add the meat to the pan, breaking up as it cooks.
- Cook for approximately 7-10 minutes, or until meat is cooked through. Taco night is served!
These gloves are a gem for mixing up raw meat with your hands!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 752mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 32g