This oven roasted turkey is crispy on the outside + tender on the inside. Once it's in the oven you can set it and forget it. The perfect main course for your next holiday meal!
Oven roasted turkey is one of those things that feels like it should be easy, but can sometimes be tough to get right. If you're feeding a crowd for the holidays, this failsafe oven roasted turkey recipe will make you shine like the kitchen star that you are.
The key to the perfect oven roasted turkey is the crispy skin. No one likes soggy skin on a bird. In our house, we all clammer for the skin first. Crispy, buttery, and seasoned - what's not to love?
This roasts for a good long while. Low and slow is the key to tender, fall off the bone meat, and this turkey is no exception.
Basting is a method where you take the juices from within the pan and brush them onto the skin of the bird to keep it from getting dried out. I would recommend basting every 30-45 minutes or so if you can. This shouldn't take long - just open the oven, dip a brush in the bottom of the pan, then brush the turkey all over before returning to the oven.
You'll want to bake it for 13 minutes per pound, so your cooking time will vary depending on the size of your bird. Adjust accordingly!
If you need other holiday or Thanksgiving recipes, check out my Paleo Thanksgiving Menu and my Paleo Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup. I turned mine into a salad with turkey, cranberries, and spicy-sweet walnuts for lunch. Yum.
Perfectly Roasted Turkey
This perfectly roasted turkey will have your house smelling amazing any time of year! Not to mention there will be plenty of leftovers!
- 15 lb turkey, neck and giblets removed
- 1 medium yellow onion,, cut into chunks
- 4-5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 c broth
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- s & p
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- Stuff the turkey with the onion and rosemary sprigs, then rub the outside of the turkey generously with salt and pepper.
- Pour the broth into the bottom of the roasting pan, then place the turkey in the pan.
- Turn the oven down to 350°.
- Bake the turkey for 3.5 hours (or 13 mins per pound), basting once every hour or so.
- In the last 20 minutes, melt the ghee and brush over the turkey.
- Turkey is done when internal temperature reaches 165°.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1115Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 665mgSodium: 622mgCarbohydrates: 2gNet Carbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gSugar Alcohols: 0gProtein: 165g
This site contains affiliate links through the Amazon Affiliate program and others, which allow me to earn a small commission when you purchase through them, at no cost to you. Thanks for your support!
Thank you for the easiest recipe ever! Turkey turned out just great!
You are so welcome, Svetlana! I'm so glad it turned out well. Happy Thanksgiving!