These healthy egg muffin cups are easy to make, freeze well, and make those running-late mornings a little bit easier!
These healthy egg muffin cups have saved my life more than once.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Here's why - it starts your metabolism. If you don't give your body food, it thinks there's not enough available, so it stores up what you already have and chooses not to burn the calories it's holding onto.
We want to burn, not store. You're not a bear, and you're not hibernating. Give your body food and fuel to get through the day, and start with these healthy egg muffin cups!
What goes in egg muffins?
Well, eggs, for one. Duh. I've included sausage, kale, and peppers in mine, but be creative! There's no rules. Just remember the things you choose will take up space in the muffin tin, so choose and measure accordingly.
What other combinations can I use?
Here are some ideas:
- peppers and onions
- spinach, tomato and bacon
- shredded sweet potato and sausage
- broccoli and mushroom
Do I have to make my own sausage to make these?
No, of course not! Unless you're on Whole30, then yes, you do. It's damn near impossible to find Whole30 compliant sausage out there. Here's my Quick & Easy Breakfast Sausage recipe if you need one!
The flavor of the homemade is worth it, anyway - once you taste it you're unlikely to go back to store bought ever again!
How do I keep my egg muffins from sticking to the pan?
Ah, the million dollar question! First, do NOT use paper liners for eggs. They will never come off and you will have a hot mess on your hands.
I recommend using a non-stick pan, or greasing your pan well (or both!) Once these healthy egg muffins have cooled just a bit, run a plastic knife around the edge to loosen, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
Once they've cooled a bit, they have a tendency to stick more, so I recommend removing while they are still soft.
Can I freeze these egg muffin cups?
100% yes. This is where the "lifesaving" part comes in! Having these healthy egg muffin cups on hand will save you one morning, I guarantee it.
Once they have cooled down to room temp, place two egg muffins per ziplock and freeze. When ready to eat, just pop them on a baking sheet and into the oven to reheat. No cooking necessary!
For the sausage:
- 1 lb ground pork
- ¼ c stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the 'muffins:'
- 10 eggs
- ⅓ c coconut milk
- 1 shallot
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 4 c loosely packed kale leaves
- coconut oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil.
- Put the ground pork in a bowl and add the stock, salt, thyme, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Mix with your hands to combine--don't be afraid to get in there! Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, coconut milk and salt and pepper and set aside. (Use a large measuring cup or bowl with a pour spout if possible!)
- Dice the shallot, garlic, and bell pepper.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage. Once cooked, remove from pan into a bowl, leaving the remaining grease in the pan.
- Reduce the heat to medium and saute the shallot, onion, and garlic until tender, then add to the bowl with the sausage.
- Reduce the heat a bit more and add the kale to the pan. Toss frequently, cooking until slightly wilted and reduced in volume by half.
- Add the kale to the sausage and veggie mixture and stir to combine.
- Evenly distribute the sausage mixture into the muffin cups, filling them to the top.
- Pour the egg mixture into each cup slowly, allowing the egg to fill in the empty spaces. Fill each cup to the top.
- Bake for 20 mins or until eggs are firm.
- To prevent sticking, allow to cool for a minute or two, then remove immediately from the pan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 12 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Saturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 164mgSodium: 304mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 12g
This site contains affiliate links through the Amazon Affiliate program and others, which allow me to earn a small commission when you purchase through them, at no cost to you. Thanks for your support!