This sheet pan meal is as dead simple as they come. Five ingredients and 30 minutes is all you need to have dinner on the table!
When it really boils down to it, I’m a pretty lazy cook. I’m always looking for ways to make things simpler, faster, and easier. BUT I also want them to taste good, which can sometimes be a fine balance.
This sheet pan meal has hit the nail on the head. It’s made with Trader Joe’s paleo ingredients, but you could get the ingredients anywhere, really. I just find some of Trader Joe’s pre-prepped things easier when I’m short on time.
Here’s what you need for this sheet pan meal:
- butternut squash cubes
- pre-cooked sausage
- a medium onion
- a large apple
Yes, that’s really it. And some avocado oil or other healthy cooking fat, salt and pepper.
I use Trader Joe’s pre-cut butternut squash cubes, as well as their Spicy Italian chicken sausages. The sausages are pre-cooked, so you don’t have to worry about the done-ness of them; we’re just looking to heat them up and get them a little crispy.
Pro Tip: Don’t forget to store them with parchment paper in between the bars, otherwise they’ll stick together!
Remember when I said this sheet pan meal was dead simple to make? I wasn’t lying. All you need to do is cut up your apple, onion and sausage into similarly sized pieces, close to the size of the butternut squash.
Because they’re all cooking together, keeping them the same size will make sure everything is cooked through! The apples and squash add a bit of sweetness in contrast to the spicy sausage. It’s the perfect combo.
Once you’ve cut them up, add them to the sheet pan, then toss with the avocado oil, salt and pepper, and bake. Dinner is done!
Pro Tip: For years, sheet pans were a never-ending challenge for me. They warped, they couldn’t come clean, they were flimsy and burned. Then I found NordicWare half sheets. These things are ah-mah-zing. They will last you a decade, guaranteed. AND – you can scrub them with some Bar Keeper’s Friend and they will shine like new!
- 12 oz butternut squash, cubed
- 12 oz chicken sausage
- 1 large apple
- 1 medium onion
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Peel the onion and cut it into chunks. You're looking for them to be similar in size or slightly larger than the butternut squash cubes.
- Core the apple, then do the same - chunks similar in size to the butternut squash.
- Cut each of the sausages in half lengthwise, then cut into slices. Same rules apply - keep the sizing similar.
- Combine all your cut ingredients on the sheet pan, then drizzle with the avocado oil.
- Toss to coat. Use your hands, don't be scared!
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a fork slides through the butternut squash easily.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 644mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 22g