I know. You’re not supposed to “snack” or “eat processed food.” But let’s be real – life happens. And I’d much rather you have one of these options on hand when life happens than grabbing a candy bar at the checkout line and sending your Whole30 down the tubes, amiright?
I’m a CrossFit coach, and I coach for 3 to 4 hours at a time, back-to-back classes. We have a small fridge, but at most I have 15 minutes before classes, and usually I have zero minutes between classes, so snacks are necessary. Below are some of my favorite go-to’s to make sure I always have a healthy Whole30 snack option on hand!
- Epic Bars – Epic started out with just their bars, but now they’ve moved on to pork rinds, lard, and a whole host of other options. As far as portable snacks, go, though, these are awesome. Pro tip: they can be a little greasy, so keep it in the wrapper as you eat it! (*Note: Bison Bacon Cranberry contain brown sugar and are not W30 compliant. Read your ingredients, people!)
- Deviled Eggs – Or even just hard-boiled eggs – I peel them ahead of time and bring them with me in a tupperware.
- Lara Bars – Make sure you’re getting the Whole30 compliant ones – here’s a great guide if you’re not sure.
- Figgy Pops – I’ve been getting these at Costco in a big bag. They are addictive like crack.
- Rx Bars – With egg whites and nuts, these have a bit more substance than a Lara Bar and will keep you fuller for longer. I may or may not have just ordered this dozen of Coffee Chocolate that I linked you to. Sorrynotsorry.
- Chomps Grass-Fed Meat Sticks – If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, check there for these – they’ve had them at ours for $1.69 each, which is a great price!
- Roasted nuts – Cashews are my go to – did you know they’re also a mood booster? You could also go for any other nut, just make sure it’s not roasted in non-compliant oils. And remember – peanuts aren’t nuts!
- DIY “Lara” Bars – Lara bars are just dates and nuts, and whatever spices you want for flavoring. If you don’t want to pay the price of convenience, you can buy some dates, put them in your food processor, and make them yourself. Try my Nutty Espresso Bars or my Sweet and Spicy Bars for some ideas!
- Dang Coconut Chips – Just make sure you get the ones without any added sugar – even coconut sugar is off limits for Whole30!
- Dried fruit – Be careful, because this can be a really easy way to quiet your sugar demon. That being said, as long as there’s no added sugar, it’s a great staple to have on hand in case of emergency.