I’m on a peach kick.
It’s the end of the summer, and the end of peach season. I always get sad when something goes out of season. They come and go so fast, and we never have enough time together. The end of blueberry season is my saddest time. This one time, I bought a container of blueberries at the farmer’s market, and they had been sitting in the sun, so they were all warm. I realize now as I’m typing that, it sounds kind of gross, but I can assure you, it was not. They were amazing, and I ate more than half the container before we made it home. Worth it!
This past weekend was the last weekend for farmer’s market peaches. I made these amazeballs paleo peach fritters, but figured I should also try to provide you guys with some healthier options and ideas for those peaches, rather than just frying them and covering them in maple syrup and bourbon. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. 😀
Arugula by nature is a bit of a bitter and spicy green. I shaved the onions here because a lot of times, raw onions in a salad for me in big slices are just too potent. I didn’t want them to overpower the peaches, so I shaved them super thin. Combine both of those with sweet, ripe peaches, and it makes for a perfect combo!
The honey-lemon vinaigrette is bright, and is both sweet and tart, so it complements the peach/onion/arugula combo perfectly. Apparently I really like the word “combo” today.
Can I just interrupt myself for a second and talk about how much I hate the word ‘vinaigrette?’ It’s stupid, I know it is, but I can’t spell it. I have to look it up. Every. Single. Time. My brain wants it to start out with ‘vinegar.’ Instead, it goes ‘vina’ instead of ‘vine,’ and it’s downhill from there. Can we just agree that it should be spelled like it sounds, “vinegarette?” It’s not as fancy, fo sho, but it’s also not ridiculous.
You say tomay-to, I say tomo-to. Vinaigrette, vinegarette. Whatever. It’s dressing, and it’s good. Make it for your salad and be grateful that you don’t have to spell the word vinaigrette multiple times a week!
- 4 c arugula
- 1 medium ripe peach
- 1/4. of a sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- s & p
- In a small bowl, whisk together the EVOO, vinegar, honey, lemon juice, and s&p.
- Place the arugula in a large bowl. pour the dressing over the arugula and toss well to coat.
- Divide the arugula between two plates and set aside.
- Slice and peel the peach into thin slices and distribute evenly between the plates of arugula.
- With an extremely sharp knife, slice the onion as thin as possible, then add to the salads.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.